Early signs of over training were all there and I chose to push through and it has cost me a week of effective training. I am glad that I have been preparing for the 70.3 as though it is the big one in March, Much like a full dress rehearsal. A good thing too as I can no add over-training to putting shoes in the wrong peddles on a race day to my list of screw-ups.
My symptoms of over-training I ignored until to late:
- Shitty mood - everything and everyone was annoying me. ( this also happens without training sometimes!)
- Unable to sleep despite being exhausted
- Gastric (upper and lower) disturbance
- Big changes in diet and cravings.
- Severe muscle pain - my legs particularly hurt like never before.
- Swim times were much slower despite effort.
By the time I realised it was time to back off I could hardly walk or hold a conversation. We all have a barometer. I just need to pay attention to mine.